Friday, January 20, 2012

M.O.W.

This week, I volunteered for our local Meals on Wheels. I had participated in the same program with my grandfather in Longview, Texas when I was in middle school. I loved going door to door and the feeling of completion knowing that we had provided lunch and dinner for so many individuals. Doing this on my own, however, was quite a different experience.

It was a beautiful 70 degree day that I was quite grateful for in the middle of January. There were a total of 12 homes on the route and I was excited to revisit what I had experienced with my grandad. The first person I visited with was an elderly woman. She wore white stockings, the special kind made for diabetics to help with circulation. She slowly answered the door; it was difficult for her to get around on the walker and carry her oxygen tank. I joyfully handed her the meal and asked how she was doing. The response was a simple "Fine" followed by a "Thank you". It hurt my heart to see how difficult it was her to do a task that I take for granted. It has never occurred to me when answering the front door that maybe one day I won't be able to do that task anymore.

With each home I visited, my heart became heavier and heavier. Twelve dark homes and apartments. Twelve elderly people who are were barely mobile. No one there to help or visit except for maybe a dog or the hair stylist who does home visits. I wish I could have stayed at each house and completed a few chores for them. I wish I could have given everyone a hug and asked them about their week. I wish I knew if their homes were empty during the holidays too.

When I completed the route, I sat alone in the car pondering about everything I had seen. Too often do I take for granted all the wonderful things I have. My home is clean and bright... filled with the love of my husband and laughter of my two stepsons. There is a little weenie dog who happily greets me every morning and snuggles with me every night. I have plenty of food to eat in my refrigerator, a working central air/central heat, a lawn man who mows my yard, and a home with no leaks. It is easy for everyone in the house to obtain medications we need and all of our limbs are fully functional to walk the dog, wash our clothes, or pack up the Christmas decorations. I have almost too much.

I pray for love and protection for all the people I met on my route. SPAN is a wonderful organization who provides so much for individuals in our community who have so little. Consider giving to SPAN as it is our responsibility to take care of our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment